Monday, October 31, 2011

All Things That Go Bump In The Night

One of my very favorite holidays is Halloween. I think as a little kid, it was the whole dressing up and getting a bag load of candy, but as I got older it was just well reflected my love for all things that go bump in the night! I can remember when I first fell in love with the Vampire genre. It was a Dracula movie starring Frank Langella. My mother was a huge horror movie buff(which now you can't get her to sit through one unless it's True Blood). I grew up watching Sammy Terry, Elvira, and Captain USA's Groovy Movies. I was a child of the 80s, so there was a lot of Stephen King. Me and my friend at the time, Cheryl, always was renting horror movies at the video store on Friday and Saturday nights-all the greats like Nightmare On Elm Street and Hellraiser. There were also the cult classics; B-movie genres such as: Hello Mary Lou, Prom Night 2, Slumber Party Massacre 1 and 2, Deadly Friend, Children Of The Night, The Blob, Night Of The Living Dead, and many more. In the 90's when Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire came out on the big screen, I was there! I loooved the movie and Anne Rice at the time, was the who's who of the Vampire world. I loved her writing, even though her tales were filled with more woe than romance. It was then that I wrote a short story, not really based on any of her characters or the movie-but just a short story based on vampires. I never showed it to a soul other than my sister and to be honest-it was pretty flat. It wasn't even Twilight worthy. Two years ago, I took that short story and turned it into my first published novel, Renegade Night aka Guardian Of Night. My vampires don't sparkle or turn into mist or bats, but they do have substance. They depend on blood to live, they have all came from some sort of tragedy, they all have something both internal to fight against as well as a villian of evil to overpower. They're all seeking that bit of humanity and holding on to it. Since writing my book I've been lucky enough to find kindred souls who share my same love of all things that go bump in the night such as: Lyndsay Sands, Kerrilyn Sparks, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Denyse Bridger, JR Ward, Kathy Love, Shayla Black, Lora Leigh, and so many others. So make sure this Halloween, you treat your trick or treaters and you cozy up with a good scary movie to pay hommage to the one time of the year when you can be anyone or thing and don't forget to check out a great paranormal romance or horror story! Happy Halloween and a big shout out to all my Vamp friends and fans!

No comments: