Friday, August 12, 2011

Let's take it back to 1989

Last night I found out with the rest of the world that Jani Lane of Warrant had been found dead at 47. Been a teenager in '89 and '94 for me was really a musical awakening of sorts. I was really really really into the hard rock-metal scene*back then Glam Rock was something that was left in the seventies with Ziggy Stardust and the NY Dolls*. I can remember the first video I saw of Warrant, "Down Boys" and it was on Hard 30 hosted by Adam Curry(the guy who just tried waaay to hard to be hardcore and had chic hair). Yeah, I know it was back when MTV "used" to play music videos. Next it was their "Heaven" and "Sometimes She Cries" and I was hooked on Warrant! I bought every single and eventually got the albums, t-shirts, fan club memberships, Metal Edge Magazines so I could rip their pictures out and plaster them on my walls, concert videos(hey it was the closest I was going to come to seeing a concert), and anything else I could find with Warrant. I drooled over Jani Lane and Eric-Jerry was hot too, but for some reason the eyebrows were an issue. I finally understood why so many women worshipped Elvis because I totally worshipped Warrant. I dreamed about going to the concerts and had even pledged my virginity-yeah I was young and my hormones were out of whack-sue me. A few years back, Jani was on Celebrity Fit Club and then on Sober House. I know everyone gets old-we all are going to age but I just about died when I saw the shape he was in-mentally and physically. I was happy when I saw him on a later show where he seemed to be keeping his life in check and was being healthy. Then last year his name crossed my Twitter as being arrested for DUI. Now, I get that he's been found dead. It's sad-too many years of hard living and addictions had finally called in their due. I will always remember the hot blonde guy with eyes that were as blue as the sky and that voice of his making all us rocker chicks drool. I'll remember the voice and the talent that he had so much of. I'll also remember that he leaves behind 4 children that he should have been around for. I'll remember that addiction is every bit as a killer as cancer is and if we don't step it up and take notice, there's going to be more than just Jani Lane and Amy Winehouse that are going to end dead. Rest In Peace Jani Lane.

No comments: